What do I do when I manage to get home early from work? Ummmm, bake some healthy-ish cookies! They’re not perfectly healthy, but I reckon they are a tad healthier than your ordinary store-bought chocolate chip cookies. And there’s something special about home-made cookies.
I don’t remember where I got this recipe from, but I modified the original by reducing the amount of sugar and using more wheat-bran than it had called for; because FIBRE. I also used less egg than the original recipe.
I once used it to make oat-bran cookies and it worked well.
Here’s my modified version…
- 2.5 cups wheat bran flour
- 0.5 cup all purpose flour
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup butter/ margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used ordinary dark chocolate in small pieces)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Spray a baking pan/ tray or line with baking sheets
- Mix wheat-bran, all purpose flour, cinnamon and baking soda in a small bowl
- Beat butter till creamy in a separate larger bowl. Beat in sugar, eggs and vanilla essence
- Mix in the flour mixture and add in chocolate chips
- Roll dough into about 0.5cm-1cm thick disk on a clean flat surface
- Cut cookies with a cookie cutter or knife and place on baking tray with adequate spacing.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until the edges start to brown
- Remove and leave to cool and harden
Happy Independence Day to American readers. 🙂