Have you noticed I’ve had a cooking streak? You can expect more cooking posts as I’ve done less dining out and more cooking at home lately. I’ve been making meatballs, baking bread and mixing mojitos! A lot of fun.
Today I want to share my 100% vegan burger recipe. I’ve used this burger pattie recipe enough times (as you can see here and here) and I think it is foolproof. The burger roll recipe, I adapted from here and have used twice. It is a really great recipe as seen from the reviews. To make the bread vegan, I used margarine instead of butter, flaxseed instead of egg, and coconut milk instead of milk.
The beauty of this bean burger is how guilt-free it is. It is gluten-free, egg-free and additive-free. It is paleo and vegan. It is high in healthy plant-protein and 100% vegan.
WIN. WIN. WIN.
Beans are a great source of protein and complex carbohydrates, as well as micronutrients such as iron, folate and manganese. It also has fewer calories than meat!
Now, I know people have reservations about vegan and vegetarian burgers, but I am telling you, they can be divine. The secret, of course, is great seasoning, coupled with a good texture. All the times that I’ve made this burger, people haven’t known that they aren’t having a meat patty until I told them. My aunt thought it was chicken, and my dad always guesses fish or lamb. LOL.
- 1 cup boiled beans (of choice. I use yellow kidney beans)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (grated/pounded)
- 1 small green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- flaxseed egg substitute
- 1/2-2/3 cups rice flour (or flour of choice)
- In a food processor, blend to a mash 1 cup of boiled beans, 1 onion, 1 green bell pepper, 4 cloves of garlic, 1/2 cup of flour, 1 tbsp soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste, and flaxseed egg substitute as a binder.
- For the binder, mix 2tbsp of ground flaxseed with 90 ml of water and leave to sit for 20 minutes at room temperature. It will release a sticky mucilage which is a great egg substitute
- Form round patties into desired size with your hands, adding a little extra flour and reshaping until they are as stiff as you desire.
- Dust flour over them lightly and shallow fry in coconut or vegetable oil.
- Makes 6-8 medium size patties
What vegan burgers do you enjoy?
Here’s the vlog for this week. I have new videos on my YouTube channel every Monday. Sometimes they’re related to my blog, sometimes not. Hope you enjoy them. Please share and subscribe!
LOVE AND LIGHT