I have never really been a burger girl (even in my meat-eating past). Although, every once in a while, I would lust after a big, messy, juicy one. That lust came by last week. I made myself the best vegetarian burger I have ever had. No kidding. And I have sampled a couple of vegetarian burgers. From Hudson’s to… wait for it… McDonald’s (*cue in ‘Please don’t judge me’*).
The burger was (almost) all home-made. I made my own patty and added my own fillings (the roll was store-bought though). I can’t seem to find the recipe I used for the patty, but there are tonnes on the internet. Try this one… or this one.
My recipe* went something like this:
What you’ll need:
- Black eye beans- you can use any kind of bean. Even chick peas and lentils, I imagine.
- 1 onion- chopped finely
- 4 cloves of garlic-peeled and pounded
- Mixed herbs (fresh or ground) : basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 egg
*Most recipes out there called for breadcrumbs. I didn’t have any and it still turned out fine
What to do:
Boil 250g black eye beans till soft (careful not to over-boil) ahead of time. (Alternatively use canned beans)
Drain completely in a colander
- Grease baking tray with olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Mash the beans with a fork till pasty
- Add in garlic, herbs and garlic and mix
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Add in the egg and mix into a good paste
*Again, most recipes call for breadcrumbs
- Take 1-2 tbsp of the mix and shape into a patty in your hands and place on the greased tray.
- Place tray with patties in the preheated oven for 5-10 minutes and cook till top is golden brown.
- Flip patties to let the reverse side brown as well for another 5-10 minutes then remove from oven.
I got a yield of about 10 patties.
PS: 1 or 2 patties broke. I should think mashing better and/or another egg and/or breadcrumbs would fix this.
Get yourself some rolls, lettuce, onion rings, cheese, tomatoes, pickles, cucumbers and whatnot. Stuff that roll with your fillings and a patty or two! Sauces of choice, and there, yummy in your tummy.
Have I mentioned my dream of opening a vegetarian restaurant in Nairobi some time? Well yeah, you can bet that this panty-wetting burger will be on that menu! (after I perfect it)
Follow my Instagram blog page: @whisperywindblog @whisperywindblog @whisperywindblog @whisperywindblog
That’s where all the fun is!
Love and Love