What’s clean, mean and green?
I have been having lots of fruit smoothies and it was time to switch it up. This time I made a spinach smoothie. I did throw in a few fruits, for flavour.
- Soy milk
- 200g spinach
- 2 kiwi fruits
- 2 green or golden apples
- ½ cucumber
- ½ tbsp. lemon juice (do not use if using ordinary milk with lactose as it will curdle)
- Celery stalks (optional)
- Clean your fruits and spinach THOROUGHLY. Dirt and pesticide traces are the last thing you want to ingest.
- Roughly chop up all the ingredients and throw them in your blender. Add milk, yoghurt and/ or water depending on your preference.
(I added about 500ml of soya milk and 250ml of water.)
- Blend this mix of fruit, veg and liquid of choice (milk/ yoghurt etc).
- You may add honey or a sugar-free sweetener to taste. A banana is also a great and healthy sweetener. (I personally like the tangy flavour of spinach and lemon so I have it unsweetened.)
This gave me about 1.2l of smoothie. I froze half and kept half for immediate consumption. I later added more water as I found it a bit too thick.
This smoothie is a winner in my books because: Low carb, fibre filled, vitamins, iron, and protein from the soy milk. Great as a pre or post-workout drink, snack, or even meal replacement.
And it’s vegan! I’ve been trying to eliminate animal products from my diet so whenever I get the chance to have/ make a vegan meal or snack, I take it and run.
PS: You could always juice your veggies but then you lose the fibre and other goodness that’s in the pulp.
7 thoughts on “Clean, Mean, Green”
I cant wait to get home and try this…. looks yummy.
It was so yummy! 🙂 Hope you like it
did you actually drink that??????? gaushez!!hehe
HAHA! YES! It was so good!
I love this. I will try this during the week.
Check out my blog: http://www.kaluhiskitchen.com
Super healthy but I don’t know if it would go down my throat.I hate soy:(
you can always used flavoured yoghurt, ordinary milk, etc. This is just what I chose to use. 🙂