A couple of weeks ago Ishay, the owner of Food and the Fabulous shared on Instagram, a beautiful picture of a pot of vegetables for some vegetable soup she was preparing. And it was decided that veg soup would be made that day. It wasn’t. But it was made yesterday, and it was delightful.
It is vegan/ vegetarian friendly and tastes damn good.
(Recipe adapted from Food and the Fabulous)
About 1.2-1.5kg of chopped veggies of choice.
I used: 1 large onion, 5 cloves of garlic (pounded/ grated), 7 carrots, 300g of green beans, 2 potatoes, 1 tomato, 400g lentil soup mix (green and brown lentils), 1/3 green bell pepper, 1/3 red bell pepper, 1/3 yellow bell pepper, 1 cob of sweet corn (shelled), 1/4 beetroot, 2-2.5 litres of vegetable stock, salt, pepper and ground chillies to season.
- In a large pot, fry the chopped onion in extra virgin olive oil, and add the garlic when the onions start to brown.
- When onions are golden brown, add in potatoes and carrots and fry on moderate heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the chopped vegetables, EXCLUDING BEETROOT, and add the vegetable stock, salt, pepper and ground chillies (optional).
- Leave to simmer for 40-60 minutes until all vegetables are soft and tender.
- Add beetroot and let to simmer for 5 minutes before turning off.
- Blend to desired consistency, garnish and serve hot with croutons (optional).
(Makes about 3kg of soup)
Can freeze surplus.
Joy and Peace